
Omie did make it out here from NY last weekend, this time on the boys' actual 2nd birthday. The three of them were very excited and happy to be reunited (and I think she was happy to see her daughter and son-in-law as well).

That evening, we went to one of our favorite places, the Mid*town Glo*bal Market for dinner to celebrate. The boys ate a huge meal of fajitas, guacamole, and rice. This indoor Market has a play area, and lots of place to walk around, plus many sources of inexpensive and delicious ethnic food. It is the perfect alternative to mallwalking for mall-allergic types like me, plus I can pick up a few groceries and sometimes dinner, sometimes all while listening to live music and letting my boys blow off a little steam. This time, there was a magic show, and a lady came out and gave the boys each a balloon. She didn't even know it was their birthday, she just thought they were cute!
Omie was only here for a short visit, but we did manage to go on a lovely nature walk at Wood Lake preserve (and see the snakes and turtles in the interpretive center), as well as go swimming at the YWCA. My mom also watched the boys while I went to church, which was a treat. We were very sorry to see Omie go, and the boys are still asking about her daily.
On Monday, I took N to his 2 year well-child visit. It was a beautiful day, and on the way there in the car, N yelled "Mama! Where are my pants?" He was wearing shorts for the first time this year. All is well with N, I'll save the stats for after O goes on Monday. N had to have blood drawn for a lead test (standard for U.S. kids who live in pre-1980 housing), and he didn't cry a bit. He did surpise the phlebotomist by saying, "It's red! Red comes out!" He was completely fascinated. The boys know their colors and most of the alphabet pretty reliably now, but N did refer to the letter "u"as an "upside-down, naughty N" the other day.
Me*agan and I also went swimming with the boys this week, and I really practiced the rules with them, because I'd like to be able to take them on my own, but I can't do that if they run out of the pool or refuse to come out when we're done. They were great, and I think we're
ready, but I'll let you know how it goes. Logistics are getting easier and easier. O loves to remind me that he's a biiiiiiiiig boy.
On Wednesday the boys and I took a walk around the block, and the boys held hands the whole time. We got to a house that has lots of wind chimes hanging off of it's porch, and N yelled, "My bells! Wind!" We waited and waited and finally the wind blew hard enough to make the bells chime and O started yelling "Ding dang dong! Ding dang dong!"
This morning we didn't have ECFE because our class is on Spring break, so we all went to the Bell Museum of Natural History instead. Here are a few pictures of the boys this afternoon, horsing around with daddy and each other.





Oli*ver tries to hug his brother a lot, and is often rebuffed. You can see here that he is very pleased to receive his brother's affection. It is often N who wants to hold hands, though. And lest you think it's all just a big love fest around here, they got their cars taken away for fighting about 20 minutes after this photo was taken.

I really have no explanation for this last picture, except to say that those are swim trunks on his head. I have a feeling Aunt Mea*gan is responsible. Fortunately, she was also responsible for taking the monitor to bed with her last night and getting up with the boys so J and I could sleep in a little today. Thank heaven for aunties (and family in general).
Still no Pat*rick baby. Jen*ifer is doing an admirable job of being patient, and has actually promised to meet us for a playdate in the morning - at a coffeeshop where she can put her feet up. If she doesn't have, you know, something better to do, like give birth. I'll post a picture after the baby is born.
Love to all,
Min*ke and the rest of the family.
Saturday morning update: Jen made it this morning, and we all went to a very busy coffee shop to play. The boys gave the baby a kiss, and a few over-enthusiastic pats. I hope they're gentler with the baby after she's born, though so far they've been very sweet with all the babies they've met.



No comments:
Post a Comment