Wednesday, May 23, 2007

not quite pushing forty

If you ask N how old he is, he'll usually say "two" and hold up three fingers. If you ask him how old daddy is, he'll say "pushing forty!". I'm not quite there yet myself, and so I get a pass for now, but look what Daddy got Mama for her birthday:

I couldn't have picked out more perfect gift myself, so now I'm feeling a little guilty about teaching the boys to say that...



My, but these boys are little buddies to each other these days. I think we're well past the hardest parts of having twins, and onto really experiencing some of the particular joys of having children that grow up in tandem the way twins do. We certainly aren't exempt from dealing with all the lovely and not-so-lovely two year old behaviors, but they are good together and entertain each other a lot, which helps. Things are SO much easier than last summer, when they'd go in opposite directions all the time, didn't really listen yet, and still had to be lifted in and out of everything. Not only do they not need to be carried much, but most of the time they insist that they want to "do it byself!" anyway. O in particular will sometimes attempt a complete do-over if you insult him by trying to do something for him. Yesterday, I absentmindedly scooped him up and put him in his clip-on dining seat. While I was supervising his brother, he got back out, walked backwards out of the kitchen, walked back over to the seat and climbed in. "Do bySELF!" he said, with a grin. Fine by me - he weighs about 33 pounds.

The boys invent all kinds of games together, much of which I don't even understand.They look out for and support each other, getting concerned for example if one boy gets his snack first.



They eat on the same side of the picnic table, leaving the other side empty.



They paint on the same side of the two-sided easel, leaving the other side blank.





When given the choice of holding each other's hands or a parent's hand, they always choose each other.



They'll play with Playdough for a long time, but only if they're playing together and trading tools back and forth. I've tried to get out the Playdough with each of them alone while the other boy napped on in the past two weeks, and neither boy had much interest even though they love being alone with us sometimes.



They look at bugs together.



They have a friendly hug before heading out for a walk in the rain.



They're not as competative as they used to be (for now, anyway), but they enjoy a good doll stroller race. Although N is always in the lead physically (he's faster), O often shows leadership in other ways, and there isn't a clear "leader and follower" with this pair. O is always the first one up a new slide at playgrounds, and he's a bit braver in new situations in general. On the other hand, N is much chattier with new people and wants to know everyone's name. All day long we hear "Whosatt?" and "Whas datt?" The boys fight some, but not terribly much, and they are clearly disturbed and contrite if they make each other cry.

\



They even take turns sitting on brother and being sat upon.

Twins are wonderful, especially when they're two!

I have a bunch more pictures to catch up on, so I'll post again in the next few days. It's feast or famine around here I guess. We're staying home for Memorial Day weekend, and on Tuesday, my mom comes for almost a week. She's coming because Jo*el is having kidney stone surgery on Tuesday. It's outpatient, but will require some recovery time.

No comments:

Post a Comment