Thursday, June 7, 2007

Chickens in the city, part II



(NOTE: there is also a new N and O post below this one)

We are making progress on our henhouse project. The permit has been filed with the city, and Ste*ve has the hole into the garage almost cut and ready for framing, and we have the area cleared on the outside of the garage and plotted on the inside. Probably at least 2 of our hens will be winter-hardy Buff Orpingtons like the ones above.



We had to move the whole project to a different area of our yard because of a neighbor who had some ( rather paranoid) concerns, but it actually worked out for the best and resulted in a lovely new garden area, though we had just made a garden along the kennel before having to move it.





The boys still have some garden space though.



We moved the kennel back to make room for the perennials displaced by the coop, and one thing led to another…

BEFORE: This is after we moved the dog kennel straight back behind the fence, but before we put in the new garden beds. The dirt was totally dead from being under the kennel all this time, but we added a ton of compost and water, and it seems pretty good now.







AFTER:


We also put up some bamboo screening.



So now our perennial beds are nicely thinned and pruned, and we have everything edged in the extra bricks I had. While we were at it, we did the South side of the house too.



J busted all the sod, which was a huge help, and I did all the edging and dividing/planting. (I keep telling J we make a nice gardening team, but I’m not sure he wants to hear it. ) Meagan and I have carrots, beets, kale, chard, tomatoes, peas, arugala, and peppers in, plus a heap of lettuce and herbs. St*eve is coming by this weekend to make some more progress on the coop, and I’m hoping that we’ll be making a trip out to the Anoka Farm Store to pick up 4 young hens in a few weeks. Maybe next summer we'll add a couple of chicks. the boys will be at an even better age to enjoy it, and we'll have more chicken experience then. Wait till I tell my neighbor we're thinking of getting a goat to mow the lawn!*

*Not really! I think a few hens should nicely balance the gender distribution in my favor, and we'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment