Sunday, September 14, 2008

those quotable boys

No*ah yesterday, upon squirting cherry tomato seeds all down his front: "Now you need to dump some compost on me and water me with the hose!"

Later he told Ollie, in that Little Stage Director voice of his, "Now you will be my little kid!" Ollie responded with a "Baa, baa". No*ah: "Why are you making that silly noise?" Ollie: "I am your goat kid! I was playin' a joke on you!" In typical preschool once-is-funny-fifty-times-is-even-funnier fashion, they then reenacted this hilarious scene until dinner...

I am obsessed with fridge pickles, and make no pretense of ever being able to make enough to get through winter with what I make now. No, my boys and I love all things pickled -we would probably eat a pickled chair leg eventually-and once they're made, we can't leave them alone until we have a sour stomach. So I couldn't resist one more batch.

Here's the recipe -adapted from a library book recipe which suggests more honey and less salt.

Refrigerator Pickles

2/3 C Apple cider vinegar

1/3 C Water

3 T Honey

1 T Salt

1/2 C onions

3 lbs. pickling cukes or 4 med. cukes

2 T fresh dill or 2 t dried (I think dried is actually just fine)

Pepper

Boil vinegar, water, honey, salt. Remove from heat. Slice cukes and onions thinly; if using large cukes, peel in alternating stripes, slice in half, seed before slicing. Place cukes and onions in a heat proof bowl and add hot liquid. Cool. Add dill, fresh pepper and put in fridge. Let rest at least 24 hours. Will keep 2-6 months in glass jars (or 2-3 days, if you live in our household).

No comments:

Post a Comment