Friday, March 27, 2009

flood

It was a beautiful, if chilly day here today. Jo*el, who knew I needed a bit of a "kid break" today, took the boys out for dinner while I cleaned the chicken coop. That may not sound like a "break", but I actually really enjoy that task--it's easy and satisfying to see the girls in their clean digs, clucking gratefully around my heels, birds chirping and the sun shining. They are a very tame and friendly flock, rushing to me when I go outside, laying 4-6 eggs a day.

Lately there has been a Cooper's hawk hanging out in the giant cottonwood tree behind us, so we've not let the ladies out much, and only with the dog there. Ivy is terrific around the hens--very tame, and an effective lookout for danger. Unfortunately, she also has cancer, and will be having surgery in a couple of weeks. We are hopeful. We couldn't ask for a better family dog, and really hope to have her a few more years.

As I was scanning the sky for the hawk, I remembered yet again that some friends and family not too far from here have their own, far greater lurking danger to contend with. The Red River is flooding a large area in Minnesota and North Dakota, and hundreds of homes are under water or in danger. The area has been declared a disaster area, and the National Guard has been called in to help the hundreds of volunteers. Hundreds of people are now being evacuated. Jo*el has family in the area, and we have friends there too, and we know they're helping sandbag and to feed the volunteers.

It feels odd going about our business here when we know you're dealing with all this craziness just a few hours away. You are in our prayers. I know that people stick together and help each other out in that part of the country, and to whatever extent the worst damage is prevented, that will be why. May the dikes hold over the next few days, and everyone stay safe. And we do have an extra room available should anyone need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment