Sunday, June 7, 2009

we're still here!

I know I’m behind on posting here when I start getting the “hint” here and there… I do try to come around more often than once every 6 or so weeks, so sorry about that. But at least blogs don’t care if you post an essay one day and a bunch of pictures the next, a recipe or day-in-the-life one week and a list of milestones the one after that, which is probably why this format is so suited to my style (as opposed to a neat scrapbook with the same number of entries for every few months or milestones, which has never worked for me). And as for milestones, we’ve missed a few lately. The end of school came and went. The boys had a great year at Grace, and just as at the beginning of the year, we celebrated with Grandma at the Dairy Queen.

(Jo*el isn’t thrilled about this tradition, but there are some things that we Su*ndseth women and boys just need to do on our own. I hope that when the “school boys” have cousins that are “school girls”, maybe they’ll join us too, though perhaps we’ll have to average out the actual date then.) From their school, we received a lovely booklet of photos for each boy. It was really nice to get a sneak peek of their days there. They seemed so engaged and happy, and I know they miss it now. They each made a card and gave their teacher a plant, and when she sent them a thank you note, they hung them above their beds. This week, they start a 3 week day camp at their school, each in their own group. That’s a big first for them—they’ve not been separated much at all, so 3 days a week for 4 hours at a stretch will be a huge change. They’re not at all happy about it if you ask them, but both their parents and their teacher agree that it will be good for them, and they’ll be most likely be in separate classes for school from now on as well. Their learning styles are so different, and we feel they’ll more easily make their own friends and not be so likely to be compared and to compete all the time if they’re apart for school. They're two individual boys, not just halves of a "set", and they deserve to have some of their own experiences and chances to shine in their own unique ways. And, it’s probably best to make that transition this year in their already familiar preschool than when they have kindergarten five days a week in a brand new school, which is transition enough. It’s bittersweet to watch, though. They're luck to have each other, I think.

We’ve had a strange spring, with no appreciable rain for weeks until this past weekend. It was actually the driest spring since the Dust Bowl of the 1930’s! I was SO glad for the rain yesterday, as the ground was getting downright crispy. Nonetheless, we’ve managed to enjoy some of the things the warmer weather has to offer.


Ant-watching

Daddy gave the boys a chance to pick something out from the garage sale across the street. Did they choose toys? Nope. Christmas ornaments, which they hung in our tree. They were very proud of their idea. "Now we can celebrate Christmas!", Ollie said.

A little breakfast in the backyard.


And dinner in the front yard...


Despite having to water an awful lot due to the drought, the garden is doing well. I added a flowerbed and tomato garden out by the alley. I'm growing lots of bee-and-butterfly-attracting beneficial plants there to help as pollinators. We have two dwarf apple trees back there as well.

Last weekend, I spent a little (not enough!) time over at Jo*el's sister Emil*ly's house because the Sund*seth women and friends were doing a quilting weekend over there. There were also 3 very cute little girls present with their mommies. Below is "Emmie", the daughter of good family friend Jess. I just wanted to eat her up.






And those nieces are pretty charming too.


Unfortunately, I came home to a very feverish boy. Before the ibuprofin:


After:



No*ah is very into any type of encyclopedia sort of book right now. This may be where he got the idea to start drawing anatomically correct people... I'm kind of hoping that phase passes before their very art-focused summer camp starts.

Thankfully, Noah perked up after a couple of days, just in time for Ollie to get sick.



The one blessing in all the staggered sickness is that we sometimes get a lot of time with the boys individually that way. In this case, N slept lots for 2 days, and then O did, so there was lots of quiet time with each boy.



No*ah is so focused on drawing that he sometimes falls asleep with the drawing or coloring book in his bed. If you go upstairs in the morning, he's usually sitting up in bed drawing or reading. He likes a good amount of alone time, that boy. He and I are an awful lot alike.



No*ah and Mabel.





We still get lots of pretty eggs, and right now we also have lots of lettuce, what's left of the spinach, herbs, kale, radishes, and collards. Peas will be next, along with the first onions and carrots, then broccoli, beans, cukes, tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, and squash. Good thing we're one of the many Americans planning a "staycation" this year!

There have been some (very positive) changes in my job, and I have more responsibility than I did, and lots of interesting and engaging projects to work on. We're launching a philanthropic foundation within the medical center that will hopefully garner more resources to help our most vulnerable patients with crucial needs. I'm in a revenue-producing department, which should theoretically give me a bit of job security. On the other hand, the hospital itself is really hurting from statewide budget cuts that run so deep that some essential programs will have to be cut, potentially leaving some of Minnesota's poorest patients with nowhere to go if they are uninsured and need treatment for chronic conditions like diabetes, HIV, or even cancer. I was supposed to go to 3/4 time on July 1st, but that's been postponed until at least October because it's just not pallatable to increase anyone's hours after a round of layoffs. It is very sad to see the layoffs, because there's just no fat left to cut, and I am angry that this was allowed to happen.

It's going to be a hectic summer, with little time off, because if I can't get paid for the extra time, I definately can't be taking time off when the foundation launch is happening, as I'm very needed at the moment. Because I can't get away from work, we won't be going out to New York this summer, unfortunately. We do plan a couple of short camping trips, though, and some daytime adventures as well, and my mom was kind enough to agree to come here in August instead.

The boys were both supposed to go to an overnight at Grandma and Grandpa's house last night, but No*ah decided he wasn't quite ready to sleep away from home without mama and daddy.



Ollie sure was, though. He was so excited, and it was so cute to watch him excitedly go off with Grandma, trailing his little suitcase behind him.

Today at church, he told everyone all about how he got to "go in the same bath as where grandma goes in", and cuddle between his grandparents this morning, and eat lots of french toast. No*ah had a friend to play with after Ollie left yesterday evening, but when I tucked him in that night, he asked whether I was going to call Grandma and see if Ollie was OK. I told him I would, and he said, "You should tell her to make sure she gives Ollie some breakfast in the morning". I told him I thought she's have it covered. When I picked Ollie up this morning and drove the boys to church, I looked in the rear-view mirror, and the boys were grinning at each other. "I missed you a little bit, " said Ollie. "I missed you a lot", said No*ah. They held hands and giggled for a minute, and then started to try and top each others' tall tales like they always do.

We hope you're having a relaxing summer. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you're reading!

2 comments:

myra said...

Minke, It is so much fun to read all the great things you do with ther boys. I miss seeing them so I hope to spend a few deays with KATHY AND sTEVE THIS SUMMER SO I can watch it in rel life. We so enjoyed our weekend at Ems.
we would all like to come for a weekend and bring ther kids and spend the time at the park all together and just watch and play. Jess hAS SMURGERG NEXT WEEK AND WILL NEED A TIME TO RECOVER SO i WILL BE NEEDED for a couplw of weeks. buy\t watch out when that week is over.

christine said...

Love reading your blog. I share it with my mom as well as she has no great grandchildren and her grandchildren are all grown up. She thinks your children are adorable.

Post a Comment