Thursday, August 20, 2009

we are four: everything is hilarious

--including carrots, apparently. You never do know for sure what's coming when you tug on those green carrot tops - could be 7 inches long, or one. This simple fact caused so much laughter picking carrots this afternoon that they were crying.

This about sums up where we're at right now - much enthusiasm for life, much wonder, much silliness and boisterousness. I have a lot of photos to catch up on, but that will have to wait for another day.

I do want to say that we came waaaaay too close to a tornado that hit Minneapolis yesterday. The boys and I were coming back from their piano lessons in our station wagon, and a tornado hit on one side of the highway we were on (94, by 35 W and right near where it hit the Elect*c Fet*s Music Store), then bounced down again on the other side of the convention center, 2 blocks the other side of us. And we were oblivious to the reason for the big sheets of rain and greenish sky until we heard on the radio where a tornado had touched down just before, when we'd been stuck in traffic. Only then did the sirens go off. About 40 houses were damaged in S. Minneapolis, some pretty badly, and many trees were uprooted or snapped off.

There's debris everywhere in some places, and power was out to 7300 people, but not a twig was out of place on our block or the one where Jo*el's parents live. Me*agan and Phil's block was hit, though - but they and their building are OK. Tornados are very strange that way - leaving devestation or major damage in one place, and not touching another. Other tornados touched down in a suburb and in nearby Wisconsin. But no-one was hurt, and I'm sure some people were at least brought together in the community spirit I love my city for, so I'm counting my and our blessings. I hope you have many to count this summer as well.

We're positively drowning in vegetables - canning, eating as fast as we can, freezing, and giving some away and to the food shelf. It's been strange weather, but a good growing year nonetheless--I honestly don't know how this cold summer with feast-or-famine precipitation ended up being my best tomato year ever, especially for those big, meaty heirlooms we wait all year for. Will try to catch up with more pictures (including of my mom's visit a couple of weeks ago) soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heirloom tomatoes are doing awesome, too. I'm rather surprised, actually, since it's been so cool. - Meagan

Mink*e said...

I know! Do you think it's a sin to make sauce out of a 2lb tomato that would be worth over $12 at the co-op? Somehow I just hesitate to dunk a big, beautiful Brandywine into boiling water and then shmush it...If I could get the raspberries and tomatoes to come into season at the same time, i could have a farm stand for a few weeks a year.

Post a Comment