Sunday, November 8, 2009

Itasca

I am very behind on photos, so let me begin to catch up. I've got them culled and sorted, so I should have some posts besides this one in the next few days. Skipping ahead a little, I am very happy and excited to announce that Lil*y Patrick is here, a new cousin for the boys and niece for Jo*el and I. We haven't met her yet, because she's still in the NICU and visitors are very restricted due to H1N1. She is in the same department of the same hospital that the boys spent some time in after they were born a bit early. Like I was, Jen is locked in "baby jail" for now, helping Lil*y learn to nurse and bottle feed better so she can go home, but she also has Zo*e, who she misses terribly. We know that Li*ly is getting excellent care, and that even though there are some challenges ahead for Lil*y and her family, she will be another blessed addition to our family. We can't wait to get to know her. If you'd like to see pictures or hear more about how she's doing, you can do that here.

In late August, we took a lovely weekend camping trip to Itas*ca State Park, which is home to tall ancient pines and the headwaters of the Mississippi River.


We took the long way up there, and stopped to picnic along Lake Mille Lacs.


Ollie was fascinated by the fact that rocks get warm in the sun.

No*ah loves the feel of the wind.




I am the biggest fire-lover in the family so far, but Oli*ver loves marshmallows even more than I do.




Singing some songs with Daddy.


Ollie looking at an enormous 300-year-old red pine.


Jo*el and I took a day trip here on our honeymoon, and it was pretty special to come back 9 years later with these two little guys in tow.


Preacher's Gr*ove




Ollie and his warm rocks.



The headwaters of the Mississippi River (read the sign on the log above)




It was sobering to think about how clean this river starts out, and the fact that it's not even swimmable by the time it flows through the Twin Cities. That's starting to get better, but we have a long way to go.






Camping food just has a way of tasting amazing. It was quite cold at night, but the boys slept well, played hard, and generally had a grand time. So did their parents!


Bye bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment