Monday, October 24, 2011

school

Yesterday, we went to church, and made use of the new elevator. Oliver was really quiet, and kind of upset a couple of times, partly because my mom had left that day, and he was sad about that too, and just overwhelmed. We went to the school playground, and he got some wheelchair races with Auntie Meagan on the baseball diamond. He had a great time until I made him slow down on his crutches at one point, and then he got furious at me. A lot of his anger is pointed in my direction, which I know is because he feels safe being angry with me. he accused me of treating him like a baby, so I've been trying to figure out how to protect his hip and still not make him feel like a baby because he's in a chair and limited in what he can do. I can handle that - it's understandable, and he also need and gets lot of hugs from both his parents. He had a better afternoon, watching a movie with popcorn and his brother next to him, and playing some UNO with his grandparents.
It was hard to leave Oliver at school today, but it seemed to go OK. The kids asked such great questions when we shared about his condition. He's going to get some extra swinging time at recess, since that's all he can really do there for now. He's pretty up and down emotionally, but I think he's doing about as well as he could be. I think he's just old enough to understand it's not forever, but in some moments, that's just not enough. It is what it is. We're lucky to have such great support, and believe me, we appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment