__________________________________________
It's been a challenging few days here at our little household. On Wednesday afternoon, I (Min*ke) slipped on the ice. I didn't think much of it until about 4 AM the next morning when I woke up in a lot of pain. I went into Urgent Care that morning and found out I had a bit of whiplash, and was not to lift anything for 4 days. The whole right side of my neck was swollen.
Kath*y, Meagan*n and the rest of the family pitched in all kinds of ways, but then both boys got sick. Noah got over the worst of a bad cold pretty quickly, but this morning Oliv*er seemed to be having some breathing trouble, so Kathy and I took him to Urgent Care (Kath*y came because Joe*l was playing at church and I couldn't lift Oliv*r). He checked out fine, so they sent us back home, but a few hours later he woke up from his nap with a very high (104.9!) fever and major croup, so we were off to the Emergency Room.
He got oral steroids and 2 treatments of epinephrine by inhaler and is much, much better, but croup often gets worse at night, so they want to keep him until morning just in case he needs more of the inhaler treatments. The doctor says he'll probably be just fine by tomorrow. It was the same doc and same examining room we had last year when Oliv*r went to the same hospital with a high fever and bulging fontanel that turned out to be a bad ear infection. All in all, this visit wasn't as scary as that one, but we definitely needed to be there today. His blood oxygen was low, and he sounded terrible, just gasping for air. He was very brave, though, and did great job putting up with all the poking and prodding.
When he was breathing better, I asked about food for him. They gave him Lorna Doone cookies, for crying out loud! He ate 8 of them. Jo*el came to the hospital at 7:30 and took over so I could go home and be with Noa*h. N*oah did well today too with Ste*ve and Kath*y and Meag*an all helping out with everything. We are so fortunate and grateful for all their help! I see people all the time at the hospital where I work that are stuck there all day with all their kids.
Next week we celebrate the boys' 2nd birthday, and we will also get to see Omie (my mom). We pray that everything calms down by then and that this awful weekend will be a distant memory.
I'll update when Oli*ver is home. Here are some pictures from the last couple of weeks while I'm at it:
Here is Dad, trying in vain to take a nap on the couch.

Noa*h and his doggie eventually got their way and woke him up.

The boys playing one of their games, which had something to do with drinking soup and finding their toes.

Here is Joe*l coming in from the storm last week. We ended up getting over 2 feet of snow in a week.

Do you see the slide in this picture? It was just about buried by the time the snow stopped.

This was the night before. Our walk is already pretty much invisible, and we got many more inches after this:

It took Joe*el a couple of hours to dig us out. I took the light rail to work, as I wasn't about to drive in all that snow.

Meag*an is home! This picture was her coming up the steps. The boys (actually, all of us) were very happy to see her after 2 whole months in India.

This was Saturday. The boys love to walk along holding hands these days, and since that means they don't go in opposite directions, I'm very appreciative of this habit. (And of course, it's awfully sweet).

However, Meaga*n was quickly reminded that it isn't all sunshine and roses with toddler twins...

Uncle Mar*k is home too, after several months in Hawaii. He came over to help rake the snow off the roof and play with the boys. Welcome home Mar*k and Meag*an!

We very much hope that the next time one of our family members ends up in the hospital, it will be Jennife*r (Jo*el's sister), who is due with her first baby in the next few weeks. We're starting to explain to the boys that sometimes we have to share grandma and grandma.
And finally, this one's for you, Opa:
No comments:
Post a Comment