Ste*ve: "I used to know how to do those kinds of things, back before I got married."
Jo*el: "I didn't know how to do any of this stuff until I got married!"
I wonder what the boys will say someday?
_________________
Let's get something out of the way here. I've been a little hesitant to post this because I was afraid I'd give my parents a heart attack, but now that over a month has gone by, here's what I did on the way to work one Monday morning. Oops. I rear-ended someone as I was switching lanes. I didn't see that he was stopping because he had both brake lights out. it's amazing what you can do to your car at less than 20 MPH. It was still my fault, but the other driver got a ticket too. I had a sore neck for a few weeks, but some massage helped a lot, and I'm fine now.

The boys have only just this week or so stopped saying "mama bwoke da car!" I must have heard it about 1,000 times, and then when we got our "new" car, it changed to "mama, don't bwake dis car!"

Our car was totaled, and the insurance company was more than fair in the settlement, so we put a little more money in and got a newer station wagon, aptly called a "Focus". I now not only have chickens like my Dutch Oma (grandmother), but I drive the same year of the same car. Oma, I am not taking up bridge or golf!
Our car seats were replaced too, even though the boys weren't in the car, and we got booster seats since the boys are well over 25 pounds. They are quite proud of them.

The seats even have little reading lights, which may just come in handy since it's now getting dark at about 4:30. We are quickly entering the long, dark days of winter, though we've just had a nice stretch of sunny days. Good thing the boys are starting to like crafts so much, because we need lots of indoor things to do. I think we'll join the Y for the winter again, since I can now easily take the boys there on my own.

Oliv*r's switch to a bed has been, well, interesting. The first few days were quite challenging. No naps, lots of banging around, yelling, and giggling. He didn't even try to come downstairs, but he did try to climb the safety bars on the window like a ladder, move his bed to the other side of the room, and jump off the bookcase. Jo*el and I have been listening to him carefully on the monitor and wordlessly putting him right back in bed every time he gets out, as well as talking about our expectations. After many, many trips up the stairs, we are making progress. He's going to sleep about an hour after the lights go out, and he's napping again, as you can see. Thank goodness, because he's a mess when he doesn't nap. This is one of the harder transitions we've made, and I for one will be so very happy when they just stay in their beds and go to sleep at night.

This is from bedtime this evening:


No*ah trying to make Oli*ver love his bunny. It just never quite works out the way he wants it to.

Oliv*er saying "I don't want dis, mama!"

Trying to make it up to his brother.

Oh, and "Lazy Susan" finally laid an egg! I guess my complaining about her on the internet must've done the trick. She lays blue/green eggs, as expected. All the eggs are about the size of supermarket "large" now except Marcy's which are kind of tiny. Tonight, when I was talking to the boys about Susan's blue egg, No*ah said, "We feed Susan blue scratch and blueberries and the other chickens eat compost!" Not true, but an interesting thought.
Left to right: Clara, Fanny, Susan, Marcy
Greeting to all my Dutch family members and my mother as they celebrate my grandmother's birthday today.
No comments:
Post a Comment