I know I haven’t posted for a while, but it’s been a little crazy around here. A few weeks ago, I got sick with what I thought was a stomach bug, and it never left. Now, about 15 pounds lighter, I have a diagnosis, and while I’m not thrilled about this, it could be much worse, and I’m relieved to know why I’ve been feeling so lousy. My esophageal sphincter muscle is apparently on a permanent strike, and I may need a proton pump inhibitor (like Prili*sec) for the rest of my life to deal with the resulting acid refl*ux and prevent serious damage to my esophagus and stomach, but it could be worse. I'm feeling better already with the new medication and I'm just so relieved to know what it is. Anyway, we’re fine, I’m fine, but it’s been a tough stretch of stumbling through the day, and being patient with my active boys has been a challenge. Jo*el has taken on a lot of my usual responsibilities, and he’s been wonderful. I am so fortunate to have such a capable and involved partner in raising these children. Thanksgiving is around the corner, and I’m sure I’ll gain the weight back in no time.
But enough about that – I know you all don’t read this blog to read about my esophagus. We re-arranged our living room a bit last week, because we got a new couch. Our last couch cost $25 at a garage sale! It certainly had served its purpose. This one is a whole lot nicer, but slip covered in denim, because we do have two toddlers living in this house.
We also took most of the boys’ books out of the canvas bins they’ve been in for a couple of years.
No*ah was very impressed by the new bookcase, and after spending a long time looking sideways at all the titles, he said, “We have a lot of books for No*ah”. He seems to have quite a few interior decorating opinions, actually; last week he said, “This is a nice living room for our family!” He spends a lot of time taking books in and out and commenting on them.
In general, life inside the house with these two is very high maintenance lately, and I haven't had the proper energy to go places and wear them out. They have so much boisterous energy these days —both Jo*el and I confess to being overwhelmed sometimes by the whining, tantrums, crayon-breaking, play dough on the couch and down the heating grate, overturned full potty seats, highlighter all over the rug, stickers on the window, screaming over a broken cracker or a lost bunny, climbing upon or swiping things off the counters, trying to order mama or daddy around (unsuccessfully – everyone must ask nicely if they want something around here!), and defiance. I think (hope!) this is the height of what they call “the Terrible Two’s”, which are also Terrific, depending on both the day and the minute. Terrific in that they have so many wonderful words, they try so hard to learn how to do everything, and I know they are learning to be polite, and respectful, and patient and all the other things we are trying hard to teach them. They’re affectionate and charming. They’re mostly a joy to take places, and very good with other kids. They’re starting to say “please” and “thank you” without being reminded all the time, and sometimes they’re so sweet with each other it kills me. “Excuse me, please, Brother” “OK, Brother” “Wanna twade dat wif me?” “OK, Brother” “Tanks!” And then a minute later, somebody whacks somebody in a fit of frustration, and it’s all “Waaaaaaaah!” from both of them. Or because I decided that running with a screwdriver in your hand or dumping cups of water down the laundry chute wasn’t a good idea. Aren’t I mean? It's not really that they act all that terrible; it's that making sure they don't is one heck of a lot of work even when everything else is going smoothly.
It’s going to be a long winter, but thank goodness we don’t have to spend it potty training. They’re not perfect, and we still mostly use diapers for naps and at night, but they do their thing pretty well, and more and more independently. I often turn the corner from the kitchen and find that somebody’s about to go or just went. We don’t need to leave the house in diapers anymore. On the other hand, that means that I now have to spend some time in public bathrooms. Evidence that your kids are listening even when you think they’re not: They play “Public Bathroom” at home and say things like this to each other: “Hands on your head! Hands on your head! Doooon’t touch the box on the wall, that’s verrrrrry yucky!” We have a potty with a lid that works quite well in the back of the car (hi there, Target shopping cart guy!), but it’s getting a little chilly for that.
Before that, Auntie Je*n and Zo*e were over too, and she helped the boys make blueberry muffins while Grandpa and I held Zo*e.
I think Ol*iver may have gotten "baking" mixed up with "crafts".
I think Zo*e got an extra chin! I've babysat a couple of times recently (we 2 couples are trying to trade off date nights) and she and I have had a nice time getting to know each other better.
Both boys have had to deal with some sad news: Auntie Me*agan is moving to her own apartment on December 1st. We’ll miss her, but she’ll come by to visit, and she won’t be far away. She’ll be right by the Glob*al Mar*ket, which is one of their favorite places, so I’m sure we’ll meet there for dinner sometimes. Plus, we have to get her some eggs.
On Thursday, we all get to be one big, wonderful mess of grandparents, tired parents, and little kids for Thanksgiving at St*eve and Kath*y’s.
Also, we just got the great news that my mom is coming in early December instead of January. I knew she couldn’t hold out that long. Watch where you put your shoes, Omie – they’ll probably end up down the laundry chute!






No comments:
Post a Comment