Friday, October 28, 2011

better

Every day still feels different around here -I can't say we're really quite adjusted yet to our new routines and what Perthes brings to our lives. I can say that we gave it our very best this week - especially Oliver, who had to go to school and adjust to being in a wheelchair and/or walker all day. He did really well, and the kids and staff have been extremely kind and helpful. In this situation, it's great that they're at a big school with good services and resources. At home, things were harder - he'd go all day maintaining his composure, and kind of lose it at home with being sad or angry. I think that's pretty understandable and normal, and even that's gotten better. Noah is adjusting as well, I think - the two of them are finding new ways to spend time together harmoniously, and sometimes that's hard. That boy can be so reserved and introverted, and I've made a real effort to try and talk with him often. Sometimes he just wants me to leave him alone so he can read.

One thing that made me feel much better about everything was the transport chair arriving. It weighs about 15 pounds and handles a little easier than a sturdy umbrella stroller - a huge difference from that 45 pound beast we can now leave at school. Ollie needs the wheelchair at school - he can propel himself in it, which he can't do in the transport chair - but the transport chair will allow me to take him places. I'm supposed to be on a 20-lb.lifting restriction with no bending while lifting - I really couldn't manage that getting that chair in and out of the car much longer. He can also scoot himself along in it with his feet, so he's not totally stuck in it as I'd feared he'd be.


And look how small it folds!



Ivy seriously has her eye on those tennis balls.



I also spoke with his doctor briefly, and she did say that the MRI didn't look any worse than the x-ray. That's good news -it's possible that this means his femoral head was only partially affected, which would mean a likelihood of better healing with fewer complications.

Tomorrow, we go pick up a handicapped tag or plates (a 2-year one which I promise to only use with my son in the car), and then the 3 of us will volunteer at the Twin Cities MCC World Relief Sale in the children's area, and then on to cousin Lily's second birthday party. (How did that happen, by the way?) Much to celebrate and be grateful for.

I get a little sad when I think that it will be some time before we see this:



But it won't be forever, and if his daddy is any indication, he'll have many years of tree climbing ahead of him. Oliver got invited to a birthday party this week - bowling, which I think we can manage. People have been incredibly helpful and kind - your support and prayers are felt and appreciated.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I remember climbing trees with his daddy when we were little. Perhaps Oliver's new wheels could be like a temporary super-power, somehow? He can move without getting his shoes dirty, leave crazy tracks in the snow (when it comes), and squish spiders from a distance.

Your northern friends are thinking of you all, with much love.

Post a Comment